Winter is Coming

Winter is Coming

All winter long we are asked great questions about caring for a pond or water feature when things get really cold.  Here are the answers to the most common questions.

Around 70% of Pond Owners in colder climates shut down their ponds in the winter to protect their equipment from breaking or freezing. What about the other 30%? What do they do to keep their ponds going in the wintertime? Won’t their pumps, filters, and PVC pipes freeze?

 

It depends, if you opt to keep your pond running in the winter, you have to make sure your pump can keep the water moving fast enough to prevent it from freezing. We recommend a pump that can operate at least at 1,800 Gallons per Hour. Flex PVC and black PVC are also recommend to keep your water flowing and your pond healthy.

 

Most of your better pond filters, skimmers and waterfall boxes are constructed with durable, flexible materials which are designed to flex with the freezing and thawing of winter. For your smaller and portable canister style pressure filters we recommend you drain and store them in a dry environment. In extreme climates, its required that you drain and store them.

 

In areas that experience temperatures below freezing, we recommend that you turn off all water spigots or automatic water fill valves that supply basins, skimmers, and ponds to prevent the pipes from freezing and cracking.

 

Pond Waterfalls - Will they freeze solid?

 

As we stated earlier, winter operation is determined by pump strength. A pump that can produce a volume of more than 1,800 GPH, running continuously, can operate during the winter. However, if conditions begin to get colder and the flow of water into the pond is unable to keep up because of ice build up, then it will become necessary to shut down your system. Once the ice has melted and normal water flow is restored, you can begin to run the system again.

 

 

How about a pondless water features?

 

Proper pump care for a pondless water feature is necessary in cold climates that endure below freezing temperatures during the winter months. In these climates we recommend that you disconnect the pump, clean and drain it , and store in a dry place. We also recommend that the waterfall weir or spillway along with the basin be drained and covered to protect the hose-plumbing systems.

 

What do most pond owner’s do?

 

In our experience, the majority of pond owners in very cold climates opt to shut down their ponds during the winter simply because they can’t get out enough to enjoy it and the maintenance upkeep can be a challenge.  If that is your situation, be sure to take the needed actions to support your fish over the winter.  Here is a link to our Winterization products including: heaters, nets, air bubblers & de-icer circulators.

 

Anytime you have questions about your pond, please send an email to info@pondgardener.com

or give us a call at 855-781-4747.  We are here to help.

Previous article Aquascape's Simple Tips for Fall Pond Care
Next article Importance of Aeration in your Pond or Water Garden